Wednesday 15 December 2010

Is our God safe?

I came across this passage somewhere when I was writing a sermon, and it's worth thinking about:


There is a scene in C. S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe where the children, learning that Aslan is not a man but a lion are not only startled but down right alarmed. 
"Is he – quite safe?" Susan asks. "I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion." 
"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," replies Mrs. Beaver, "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else silly." 
"Then he isn't safe?" Lucy asks, to which Mr. Beaver responds, "Safe? Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."


"Course he isn’t safe." says Mr Beaver.
 
Is our God safe? 

An odd word, and maybe I ought to say ‘Is our God predictable? Can he be taken for granted? Can we ignore him and hope we won’t be noticed?  You can’t do that with a Lion, I’m not sure you can with God either!

“Therefore keep watch,” says Jesus. “Because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.”

3 comments:

  1. Stemming from that is the misinformation that can abound in some churches particularly when evangelism (of the bad variety)is going on that a life lived within the will of God is somehow safe. Look in the Bible for many examples of the fact that life with God is not always safe!(2 Cor 11: 16 ff. is a good example). However, a life lived within the will of God constitutes the best life that it is possible to live - and that is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John, my name is also John. I read a lot of blogs on religion and prayer and I've i feel like I've ended up here once before. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this prayer exchange website PrayerMarket.com I thought it was an interesting idea and would be curious to hear what you (or other Christians) think about it

    I'll check back here in the next day or two, thanks & God bless
    John W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm... not sure about the 'being paid to pray'whether it's in tokens or cash - somehow it just seems wrong!

    ReplyDelete