Tuesday 3 May 2011

Life is a struggle, Lord

 I look after my mother who has dementia, and in this prayer I have tried to see life from her perspective.



 “For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.” (Psalm 22:24 )


Life is a struggle, Lord.
Time plays its tricks
on body, mind and spirit.
Simple tasks that in my youth
would have taken minutes
now consume
my waking moments,
exhausting,
frustrating,
depressing.

Life is a struggle, Lord.
Technology confuses,
so little now makes sense.
Age strips the brain of sharpness
that once would have found words
appropriate
but now struggles,
understanding,
responding,
coping.

Life is a struggle, Lord.
You alone are my constancy,
all I cling to.
Accept my mustard seed of faith,
and the simple words I offer,
my sacrifice of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment